Thursday, February 18

Abbey Road

Hey Dad… guess where I am sitting right now.

I’ll tell you… I am sitting at a coffeeshop just down the street from the Abbey Road crosswalk on the Beatle’s album cover and just down the street from Abbey Road Studios where they recorded most of their music! It’s actually not that far from Kensington, so we’ll have to stop by here when you visit. There is also a Beatles Coffeeshop just down the street. Lauren and I were planning on going there to do some work today but when we got there we found it was just a really small walk in coffeeshop with no seating.


I wanted to take a picture of the crosswalk, but there were too many cars coming (and trust me, London cars don't stop for Londoners and DEFINATELY don't stop for tourists) and people and it was raining. Plus I figured I can always take a pic when we go see it again when you come visit.

Anywho, we went to the Sports Café on Tuesday night to watch the Olympic games and I met a guy there from South Africa wearing a Kansas Jayhawks t-shirt! He said two of his best friends married girls that went to KU, so he’s been to Lawrence a couple times for their weddings and such.

Yesterday my art class went to the Photographer’s Gallery. We’re focusing on photography as a form of art this week. I actually like looking at photography much more than looking at regular artwork, partly because it seems more realistic and yet at the same time it questions reality, how we construct memories, and how we can capture and perceive a moment in time. Despite all this, a lot of people still disagree that photography is a form of art. I think it is, especially more so than other forms of modern art that take ready-made objects and call them art. Jeff Koons is a modern artist that took three brand new, never used vacuums and put them on display, calling them artwork. They are displayed in the Tate Modern right now. I would say photography is definitely more so a work of art than three vacuums on display.

Anyways, the Photographer’s Gallery is just off Oxford Circus, so after class I went shopping for a new pair of jeans. Apparently I’ve started to find food that I like here and I’ve gained back all the weight and then some that I initially lost… resulting in my favorite pair of jeans ripping last week! Actually, the real reason they ripped is because I tripped when getting on an escalator and when I fell my jeans caught on the escalator stair’s jagged edges. I was wearing heels... I don't do well in heels. Slightly embarrassing, but luckily there weren’t many people around other than my friends. But these were the best pair of jeans EVER. I wore them the night of the KU National Championship game and there was even a little mark on the knee from when I tripped and fell running down to Mass Street. I will never throw those jeans away. Luckily I found a cheap pair of new jeans from H&M. (15 quid for the jeans.... quid is the slang term here for bucks. I'm trying to start using the slang here, even though I sound like a fool.) I don’t know about the states, but here H&M is like the Forever 21 of the UK. It’s really convenient for students like myself.

Last night some students and myself went and saw Valentine’s Day at the movie theatre. I haven’t been to a movie since I got here. The movie was cute, but it seemed like a bad version of Love Actually. The real reason I wanted to see it though was just because it had such a good cast. Lauren was down in Leicester Square on Saturday night right by the movie premiere and she said she saw Ashton Kutcher and Jessica Alba from a distance going in to the movie premiere. I’m disappointed I haven’t met anyone famous yet. When I first got here all the full time students were like, “Oh yeah, you will definitely see famous people around here” and yet I haven’t seen one. Hmmmm… maybe it’s just not celebrity season or something. It’s been too cold. Yesterday was a tease… it was 50 degrees out, sunny and BEAUTIFUL. And now today it is raining and cold again. I am so excited for warm weather.

Well, my second cup of tea is waiting for me and I have some reading to do. Tonight we’re going to an Irish pub (O’Neill’s) in the middle of Chinatown that is the hangout spot in London for all the Americans. Kind of a strange combination if you ask me, but they always have a band Thursday nights so it should be fun…

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS LIBBY!!!! My Mom told me today about the news! I am so excited and happy for you!!! (and Edgar) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment